Sunday, March 16, 2008

Aspirations

When I was a kid, through adolescence and into early adulthood I thought that I ought to quarterback my favourite football team - the Hamilton Tiger Cats.



I didn’t play on a football team and couldn’t throw but that was of little consequence as this was my aspiration.


Later on I thought that I should actually own the Ti-Cats. Money was an issue though. I seldom had enough to buy even a ticket to a pre-season game and if I did have the money I’d have to sneak food in as the price of concessions was beyond my means. Another aspiration.


Now I may have stumbled on something more realistic that meets some need in my male psyche to be in charge of a pro team. So:


A Realistic Aspiration?


I’ve bought an English (soccer) football team.


Well, not actually "bought" that would be a slight fib. I’ve become a member of the Biggelswade United Football Club (http://www.biggleswadeunited.co.uk/).


My membership (about forty bucks Cdn.) allows me to have input on team selection, analysis and voting on each and every issue the club faces. Would you believe Biggleswade members actually selected the starting lineup for their most recent outing a 4 -1 victory over a London team?


Limitations no Barrier

I know little about England but a quick internet search informs me that Biggleswade is a market town of about 15,000 on the River Ivel about 40 miles (60 km) north of Central London and 20 miles (30 km) west-southwest of Cambridge.


I don’t know much about soccer either - or football as I will now call it. That shouldn’t be a problem. They are looking for about 5,000 others like me. The only real requirement is you can afford the fee.


An Interesting Challenge


There is a serious issue here. To quote my club spokesperson:


“The club recognise that surviving in this day and age will take more than goodwill of the hardworking board. In the age of the Internet, the club have embraced the web and have been looking for a way of helping push them further. Essentially, like all clubs, we need a wider fan base, more resource, more input and more funds to push further up the leagues. Our gauntlet to you is this – if you have control of the club, can you make the decisions that will see us to the Conference and beyond?”
(Other teams are doing this. See myfootballclub.co.uk for more background.)


Hedging


One further clarification. There is another small fib herein.
I’m on a thirty day free trial. I haven’t actually put up any money yet. I’m hedging my bets so to speak. You never know when the Ticats might come on the market.

No comments: